We use cookies to make your experience of using our website better. To comply with the e-Privacy Directive we need to ask your consent to set these cookies.

The (SIA License) Is It Needed?

Posted: 02/06/2017
The Security Industry Authority (SIA) is the statutory body responsible for regulating the private security industry in the UK. If you want to work in the private security industry then it’s highly likely will need to apply for a license from the SIA.This doesn’t mean that you’ll necessarily need an SIA license if you want to work within the private security industry, however, if you do want to work within certain areas of the industry then you will need a license.

If you wish to apply for a job in any of the fields below then you’ll need to first apply for a license from the SIA.
•    Cash and valuables transit
•    Close protection services
•    Door supervision
•    Public space surveillance/ CCTV operations
•    Security guarding
•    Vehicle immobilization services
•    And certain key holding duties

Licenses fall into two categories, front line duties and non-front line duties, front line duties encompass jobs in which you will deal with the public like a door supervisor for example. A non-front line duty could be a manager or supervisor, basically any job where you are required to have keys but aren’t needed for anything else security wise.
A front line license will be a traditional license with your picture and details on, while non-front license will likely just be a letter outlining your responsibilities as a key holder. Depending on what exactly your career is your employer may apply for a license on your behalf and you still can get a license if you have past criminal convictions.
As part of our great service at Sjc123.co.uk we have a full and in-depth knowledge about the Security Industry Authority, so if you have any questions about how it works we may be able to help guide you.

View All News